South Scarle Hall, described in a survey of 1650, is a building consisting of Medieval and Tudor structures which was first enlarged in the eighteenth century. There is a stone tablet in the grounds dated ‘1837’ which may have surmounted the original gateway and is generally believed to mark the nineteenth century building programme embarked upon by the owner, Miss Mary Edmunds. At this time, the present brick front was added and the interior was refurbished as befitted a small stately home.
In 1869, a large steam-heated conservatory was added; twelve years later the imposing ornamental iron gates were conveyed to South Scarle by rail from Glasgow in Scotland and erected at the two entrances to the grounds which included a complex of barns and stables and a steam-heated vegetable garden. As usual with estates of this kind, there was a large contingent of staff to keep things running smoothly.
A further development occurred which was the conversion of the nearby large Tudor barn into a games room which became known as The Billiard Room. Village events and games took place in this building which housed a magnificent billiard table and was lit by paraffin lamps. In 1970, the building became a family house (now lived in by your website editor and his wife since 1998 and renamed Hall Barn). Village folklore has a ghost in residence though present owners have not seen ‘her’ or ‘him’ yet! A small lead cannonball was found in the walls when the building was being converted to a home.